Monday, April 5, 2010

Compliments


When I post my writing on this site, it is a culmination of my thoughts and experiences, and all of the many discussions that I have with my girlfriends, and the feedback they give me, from our collective experiences.  It's just me talking, it's just a few girls' points of view, but, I'm a girl, and, if you're a single guy, I'm telling you our secrets, so listen up.

So this weekend, I gave this guy that I went out with twice another chance to wow me.  He was tall and cute, but was a pretty quiet guy, and I thought maybe it was just because he was a little nervous or something, I wasn't quite sure.  So, I was all dolled up and ready to chit chat and flirt, but once again, like the other times, this man had not one compliment for me.  I mean, I knew that he didn't have much to say generally anyway, but after two other dates and then me showing up again for just a chat, I thought that he would have at least a "wow, you look beautiful tonight", but no. Nothing.  Nada.  And for the record, I did look really cute dammit.

So, there wasn't much discussion, and I wasn't ready to go home, so I decided that he must not be that into me, or couldn't handle me, and so I made my own fun.  And lo and behold, the universe put before me an adorable, big, strappin', singing southern boy, without a ring on, and with a Jack Daniels delivery shirt on, and sideburns (so retro).  Yes, score!  So, I looked up to the sky and said thank you Lord, and proceeded to make my presence known.  And know what,  this new guy complimented me.  The first thing he said was, "Wow, you're beautiful, look at you.  Do not leave".  And ya know what, even if he was lying, or just wanted to get laid, I didn't care!  I was just happy to finally be, being paid attention to and being made to feel like a woman.

I hear this from my girlfriends as well.  They will go out with a guy that they are into, and then they report back to the rest of us that they have this uneasy feeling, because he never compliments her.

Gentlemen, we ladies, need compliments like you men need your jokes to be laughed at.  We need to hear that our efforts of taking the time to look nice, are appreciated by the opposite sex.  It's the simplist thing to do, and when done with sincerity and moderation, has great effects on a man's love life.