Sunday, April 11, 2010

No Drama Momma


Even though I'm in my thirties, my momma still calls me almost every day to make sure that I'm wearing my seat belt and locking my car doors.  As I answer her same questions with an annoyed sigh, I have to admit, it feels good to be concerned about.  I know that she absolutely lives for her three children, and worries about us all the time, but with us still, she can almost always see the humor in our situations.  She never lets me, ever feel sorry for myself, or take the little things too seriously.  What would I do without her unconditional love, especially when it comes to dealing with me and men?  She cuts through bullshit like a hot knife through butter.  According to her, it's because 'she's been bullshitted by the best of 'em'.

The other day I was talking to her about a guy, and I forwarded her an email from him that made me sad, but she started laughing her ass off at the part where he was bossin' me around!  She proceeded to declare that this guy was waaay too dramatic for his own good.  And she knows, that I know, that it ain't no good when a man is more dramatic than our own selves.  I was on the Stairmaster at the gym when she was reading it, as I was talking to her, and she was busting a gut, and then I started laughing so hard I lost my footing and almost fell off the damn thing.  Now I know why they have six handlebars on 'em.

In those moments of everyone in the gym staring at me for laughing so loudly, and almost busting my ass, I realized I was amid a great gift in my life.  A gift of laughter and light-hearted wisdom from my momma.  I realized that the universe has done me sooo many favors on this broken, adventurous road of singledom, and that I'm not really alone on it, because my momma is holding my hand, and believes in me... and is also waiting for me to become rich and famous so that I can support her... 

Thank you for supporting my writing momma, I love you... you are most certainly the definition of a best friend.