Thursday, August 20, 2009

Raining Men

I drive a girl truck. You know one of those little ones. It is nice and I love my little truck. It has an extra cab for all my stuff and it hauls things at my whim, so that I don't have to bother others to do it for me. Occasionally, it hauls a "cute boy".

One night I went out to meet some friends at a swanky restaurant bar in my little redneck truck. They were guy friends and so I was doomed to meet no one. I was in the middle of a huge dry spell, very antsy and I was totally cock-blocked. I decided it could be worse, shook it off and started drinking to forget about it. We all had a blast, then I went out to leave. I backed out of my parking space, then heard and felt a huge banging around in the back of my truck. Someone had jumped into the back! My heart almost stopped and I looked at my glove box and was trying to remember if I had put my gun back into it or not while I had heart palpitations and tried to breathe. I turned around to look at who was behind me and it was one of the most gorgeous guys I had ever seen in this neck of the woods. This guy looked like a male model. He was laying in the back of my truck waving a manicured hand at me. I just sat there staring at him. He was well-dressed from his Banana Republic shirt to his Prada shoes. Clearly this guy was not from here. He was tall, svelte and confident as hell, with a smile that lit up the fucking parking lot. I decided that he was drunk and completely harmless, so I looked up and thanked the dating gods for smiling on old Kelly girl that night.
I rolled down my window and said "Are you looking for work?" He said "I'm going home with you". I said "Are ya now? I don't even know you". He said "Well let's go somewhere and get to know each other". I said "I like the attitude. Get in the front, I'm not driving you around like a tomato picker". He did. We did. I drove him back to his nice little condo in the morning and never heard from him again. No false promises, no apathetic phone number exchanging. He was going back to wherever he came from (I don't remember where that was) and we said goodbye and good luck.
That was the night that the gods decided to give yours truly a much needed gift and break. And for the first time in my life, I just took the gift gracefully. I didn't ask why, I didn't fight and try to claw for more, I just said thank you quietly to myself and drove away.