Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Who Wants To Be My Baby Daddy?!!


When I was fourteen years old, my baby brother was born.  My mother was very ill and slept about sixteen hours a day, and when she was awake, she just stared into space.  My father worked double shifts constantly and when he was home, I fed him and he went to bed.  So I took care of my new baby brother, my other little brother and my daddy.  So, by the time that I was eighteen and left home, I wanted nothing to do with having a baby, I'd had my fill.  I took my birth control religiously for fifteen years, paranoid about having an "accident", even after I was married. 
Well now, here we are in 2010, and I'm in my late thirties, and thinking "shit, I never had a baby".  Do you hear that crackling noise?  It's my ovaries drying up!  I can feel my body changing.  I'm not interested in getting hammered drunk anymore, I'm no longer excited to sleep with guys just for the fun of it (not even the cougar chasers, sorry guys), and... I'm seriously looking into becoming a foster parent that leads to adoption. 
My mother has been well and fabulous for many years now, and I was talking to her yesterday and told her that since my last relationship failed (I had really thought he was finally the one), that I'm going to seriously look into adoption now.  She's usually very supportive of my dilemas and decisions of "singledom", so I was suprised to hear her say "Kelly, why don't you just have a baby with a friend?".  I laughed and said "huh?".  She said "Yeah, just get a friend to do it with you".  So, how does this conversation go with my unawares friend, I wonder?  I call them up on day and say "Hey, I was thinking about having a baby, you wanna be my babie's daddy?"  I wonder if there are other women that are thinking this.  I think I feel a new trend coming on!